Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Freshly Made Sketches 47

The process for deciding how I'm going to make a card for a particular challenge is always a little entertaining for me.  Sometimes it's like watching a bad movie where the story is lousy you know the ending is going to stink but you have to keep watching because you've invested so much time in it already and it's too late to back out.  Sometimes you cut your losses and switch the channel and hope there's something better to watch.  Card making is similar in some ways.  When I sat down to make my card this week for Freshly Made Sketches I had some very clear color choices in mind.  But once I got more than halfway through my card, I thought "yuck" but I was a little too far in to it to change the channel, as it were.

So I fretted, and paced, and checked my watch to verify that the clock was indeed ticking.  And then I had an epiphany and realized that I was trying to make my card more complicated than it needed to be.  So I took a step back and thought of the things that appeal to me in a card.


I used lots of white space and background colors from Early Espresso and Wisteria Wonder.  I thought a little color was in order so I added a Calypso Coral piece of DSP from Berry Blossoms and some leaves from Summer Silhouettes stamped in Lucky Limeade.  The pretty flower is stamped from my new favorite Everything Eleanor.  Once I colored it, I added some shimmer with a clear Atyou Spica pen which is impossible to see in the picture so I thought I'd give you a different view here:


I happen to know that our amazing design team has created some fabulous inspiration for you so please stop on by Freshly Made Sketches and check them out.  Here are some quick links to the design team:



Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a chance to join us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

11 comments:

Rita W said...

Great analogy. I have a pile of "channel changers" on my desk; I think I end up there more often than not. :( I love how make white space work and wish I had that talent!

Linda Suarez said...

Hi Jen! I go through a similar process too. Your card turned out beautiful!

Jen Brum said...

Well sounds like we have the same card making process! Probably good we don't make cards together!!! Your card is so elegant and beautiful! I love that background! The end result is wonderful!

Carole said...

I get what you're saying about the design process. Well your card let you in the right direction. Love it. Nice impact, interesting details and the perfect little POP! So pretty:)
http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

Cindy Hall said...

LOL! Great explanation of card making, and so true! I'm going to laugh about that for a while! However, that being said, this card is so beautifully elegant!

Tui Nathan said...

Aweesome card Jen ... I love that background flourish and that tiny peek of orange is just perfect!
Love your posting here ... especially about the tiem investment on a bad movie ... *groan* ...

Jen Timko said...

The white space is perfect Jen! Love the bit of Wisteria in this!

Notes by Nina said...

Beautiful card, I love the flourish and your flower is so pretty.

Ann Schach said...

An absolutely stunning clean and elegant card! Perfect in every way!

Jen Sannes said...

Love the white space on this card - it looks so crisp! And that little bit of shimmer is the perfect touch. Fab card, Jen!

Allisa said...

Love the embossed background! So glad you kept at it!