Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day for Cardabilities and Color Throwdown

I have discovered that the business of making cards goes much faster if the television is OFF.  Last night I sat down to make a card for the latest sketch at Cardabilities and for the palette at Color Throwdown and it took me forever because I was watching TV at the same time.  Other times I've consciously left the TV off and (no surprise) I'm so much more productive!



I meant to add some sequins or enamel dots to this card and completely forgot (probably another good reason to craft in relative silence).  I think I'll do that before I hand it over to my mother.  I'm not sure she's going to like this card because I don't think she's into the whole grungy card thing like I am, but we'll see!

I used some washi tape to create my own patterned "paper" for the flag here with the thought that this would be my second entry in the Gallery Idol contest.  I'm not totally in love with this card so I'm not 100% sure I will enter it.  The deadline is May 19th so I've still got some time to create something else and decide which I like better.

I don't think I will give up watching some of my favorite shows while I'm crafting.  It feels weird to craft in total silence (except for the parts where I'm telling my cats to get out of my space).  So I'll probably have to resign myself to inefficient card making!

Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Teeny Tiny Wishes (SU); Mini Mixed Media Backgrounds (Stamplorations)
Paper:  Classic White (Flourishes); Enchanted Evening (Papertrey Ink); Bermuda Bay, Lucky Limeade, Whisper White, Vellum (SU)
Ink:  Enchanted Evening (Papertrey Ink); Bermuda Bay (SU)
Accessories:  Dizzy Doily Duo die, Gerbera Daisy die, Fishtail Flags Layers STAX, Sentiment Strips die (My Favorite Things); Little Leaves die (SU); Lucky Limeade baker's twine (SU); washi tape

14 comments:

Karren said...

So you don't talk to yourself while you're crafting and tell yourself what to do??? Maybe I'm just weird, then :) Fab card - the background stamping is perfect against that lovely doily and flower.

Aileen said...

Love your card, as I am sure your mum will too. Beautiful colours and layout, really doesnt need anything else.
Wonderful.

Tenia Nelson said...

So so cool!!

Shelly said...

Such a sweet card! The colors are perfect and love the layers!

Marisa said...

You are rocking this style, Jen! Wonderfully done.

Claire said...

Love this slightly grungy look Jen - I'm sure your Mum will love it (with or without enamel dots!) I can't craft at all with the TV on...don't get anything done!

Happy Dance said...

You are so funny, Jen! I don't have a TV in my craft room, but since I'm right next to the family room, I listen to it quite a bit! This is a great card. Love these colors together. Pretty blue flower too. Bev

Lisa Elton said...

TV or no TV this is outstanding Jen!! Love the collage feel to it and the soft spring colors!

Deepti said...

Love the spring colors and such a lovely cards :)

Wanda Cullen said...

Another gorgeous design! Love your use of the throwdown colors and happy to see you in the gallery again! Good luck with your idol entries!

Vickie Z said...

Love how you used the colors and sketch!! Grunge pretty is good with me!! Thxs for playing at CTD!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome use of the sketch! I adore that color scheme too~ Thanks for joining in with Cardabilities!

Monia - Monika Jakubowska said...

So fresh and beautiful card :)
Thanks for join us at Cardabilities :)

Maura said...

This is so pretty. I love the elements in your background.