Saturday, April 11, 2015

Bird Crazy

One of my crafty goals for 2015 was to try some things that were new to me.  One of those was coloring with pencils.  I had some cheap pencils in my stash, but they were pretty awful at coloring (which is odd since that's what their #1 job was) so I bought some quality pencils to replace them.  I watched some videos on how to use them and then tried them myself.  What you are about to see is my first attempt!


Not great, but not horrible I say to myself.  The layout comes from the latest sketch at The Challenge. You will notice that I stamped the bird too low and had to move the sentiment "banner" to the top of my card instead of where it should be on the sketch.



Incidentally, what you see here is only half of the sentiment.  On the inside of the card it continues "and the possibilities are endless."  I couldn't get the whole thing to fit on the front of the card without it looking too ridiculous so I had to settle for an "inside and out" card!

The sun hasn't been shining here in what feels like forever and the forecast is for a warm, sunny weekend so I am really looking forward to having the sun shine on my face!  Hopefully I can sneak in some crafting too while I'm enjoying the good weather!  Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Bird Crazy (Tim Holtz); Say It How It Is (Dyan Reaveley)
Paper:  Classic White (Flourishes); Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Sweet  Pea DSP (SU); Solar White (Neenah)
Ink:  Black Licorice (My Favorite Things)
Accessories:  Prismacolor Pencils; Pierced Rectangle STAX (My Favorite Things)

13 comments:

Marika said...

What a fun card! If this is your first attempt with coloured pencils, you are going to be awesome! Great work!

Caroline said...

I think you did a great job colouring!! I plan to replace my old coloring pencils too. I recently tested them and though oh no, no, no, these won't do!! So I'm thinking of trying the Inktense pencils. I think I read that they are permanent once dry. I love that sentiment by the way :)

Lisa Elton said...

How fun is this guy!! Your coloring looks great Jen. Enjoy that sunshine!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

You might say it's not too great . . . I think it's amazing - especially as it's your first attempt! I find colouring pencils quite hard to blend . . . you've done great! Also, thanks for the great sketch and inspiration over at FMS! have a lovely weekend. Hazel xx

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome!! :)

Nancy said...

I think your first attempt with pencil is fabulous! Hope the weather cooperates and doesn't disappoint you! Great card Jen!

ink paper scissors stamp said...

i love your style, jen, and this bird is just way too cute!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Ahh this is so MUCH fun, loving these bird critters!! Thanks so much for joining us at the challenge!!!

Karren said...

Love, love, love this bird and you did a fantastic job with the Prismacolors!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Hahahaha! LOVE that sentiment! It is perfect with that crazy bird! Thanks so much for sharing this fun card with us at The Challenge!

Linda Callahan said...

Crazy bird cuteness! Love it!

Lesley said...

Those birds are SO fun! I made a card with one of them yesterday! Love your card and the new blog look! It is AWESOME! Hugs my friend! xo

Basement Stamper said...

I love this card, this bird is such an adorable image!