Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Freshly Made Sketches 263!

It's Wednesday so you know that means it's time for a new challenge at Freshly Made Sketches!  We had a bit of a glitch on Monday with the linky tool expiring, but we've got it all sorted now and we are good to go for our new challenge!  Thanks for your patience and thanks to those who "linked" up their cards in the comment section!  Our newest challenge is brought to you by Cécile.  The sketch has circles, but feel free to use whatever shape you'd like.



Now there's a little explanation about why the top of my card is separated from the bottom by a diagonal line when the sketch clearly shows a horizontal line.  I had seen this card from Jane Knudsen and I really liked how she used a die to cut a line of circles then added some colorful patterned paper behind those circles.  I hunted around in my stash and found a similar style die, lined it up carefully on my cardstock horizontally and ran it through my Big Shot.  But the die shifted as it passed through and came out cut on a perfect diagonal.  I'm pretty sure that if I attempted to do that on purpose it would be way off center!  In any event, I liked how it looked and figured this was some sign that I should embrace this "mistake" so I didn't re-do it.  

There's a gray, red, and white challenge going on at Merry Monday and Christmas Card Challenges is looking for glitter.  The red glitter that I used is some paper I've had in my stash for a long time.  I don't know where I got it (or why I got it for that matter) or who makes it but it is VERY thick.  It's useless for dies but I was able to cut it and used it as my layer under those small circles.  The snowflakes were cut from Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper and you can just imagine how sparkly this is in real life!


Thanks for stopping by and please don't forget to pop on over to Freshly Made Sketches and check out the inspiration from our design team.  I hope to see you in the gallery!

Supplies
Stamps:  Joy (Concord & 9th)
Paper:  White (Spectrum Noir); Smoky Slate, Dazzling Diamonds glimmer (Stampin' Up!)
Ink:  Ruby Red (Altenew)
Accessories:  Blueprints 20, Blueprints 21 (My Favorite Things); Maryanne Snowflake die (Simon Says Stamp); Make a Snowflake die (Taylored Expressions)

7 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

This is lovely Jen!

Linda Callahan said...

Yep you know what they say....when life hands you lemons......so embrace that diagonal! Love the snowflakes and the pop of the red glitter!

Karren said...

Serendipitous indeed :) This card looks perfect just the way it is!

Jen Brum said...

What a beautiful card Jen! I just love those snowflakes and the sparkly frame! I love how your diagonal line turned out! So pretty!

Jane Knudsen said...

Hi Jen! Thank you for the shout out! When I saw your card, I thought, hey - someone else used the same die cut! Yay! Then I clicked over to see your blog and read what you wrote. This card is gorgeous and how lucky that the die slipped! I like the look you got! Thank you again! Have a great day!

Cécile RIBON said...

Definitely a wonderful take on the sketch Jen! Love those pretty snowflakes and your diagonal line has such a stunning effect!

Jen Timko said...

It was meant to be! Gorgeous!